Holds special gram sabha to explain about HC order and invites suggestions from villagers
MAPUSA
The Assagao Panchayat has announced its decision to conduct a survey of illegal constructions in the village, following a recent High Court order.
The announcement was made by Sarpanch Hanumant Naik during a special gram sabha held on Tuesday, where villagers were informed about the court’s directive.
Naik stated that the panchayat is obligated to comply with the High Court’s ruling, which mandates action against illegal constructions along roadsides, highways, main roads, as well as within panchayat and municipal areas.
The order also applies to unauthorised structures built on paddy fields, government land and comunidade property.
“In line with the court’s order, we will be conducting a survey to identify illegal constructions. We have convened this gram sabha to take suggestions from villagers, but failure to implement the directive could lead to action against the panchayat,” said Naik.
He further clarified that the existing system of providing water and electricity connections under health regulations would also be discontinued.
Comunidade to assist in survey
Assagao comunidade attorney Nelson Fernandes confirmed that the comunidade will independently survey illegal constructions on its property. He said that assistance has been sought from the Deputy Collector and Anjuna Police to carry out this process effectively.
Fernandes emphasised the seriousness of the court’s ruling, also citing a Supreme Court judgment against illegal constructions.
He warned that non-compliance could result in contempt of court proceedings.
The Assagao Comunidade had earlier urged the panchayat not to issue No Objection Certificates (NOCs) for commercial activities on its land. In response, Naik stated that the panchayat has refrained from granting any new permissions or renewals.
Villagers express concerns
Several villagers voiced concerns over the impact of the court’s order.
Eknath Govekar pointed out that while the High Court ruling was issued recently, the current comunidade committee has been in power for six years but had not acted against earlier illegal constructions allegedly backed by previous officials.
Another villager suggested that the government should explore legal avenues to regularize certain structures in the interest of the local population.
Meanwhile, the panchayat has resolved that each panchayat member will report illegal constructions within their respective wards to the panchayat secretary for further action.
The situation continues to evolve as authorities prepare for the implementation of the High Court’s directive.